Established in 1896 in Barberton by Alfred Jackaman as A. Jackaman & Sons, Rudamans has a history stretching back over 100 years.
Originally conceived as a small shop aimed at servicing the mining industry, the company thrived under the leadership of Alfred for the next 29 years. During this time Alfred married Agnes Button and produced 6 children though this marriage. Of these 6 children the yoke of leadership was passed to his eldest son Laurie in 1925. Laurie, known throughout the Lowveld as a superb sportsman gained prowess on both the tennis court and the golf course. He understood his market and used his sports knowledge to further advance the company.
In 1970 the company, once again, moved down the line of successorship to his two sons, Terry and Lance. Terry decides to remain in Nelspruit and run the business, while Lance decided to try his hand out in business in Durban. Terry successfully ran the company for four years until fate stepped in and changed circumstances.
In 1974 the store was gutted by fire. A near fatal blow for the company. Terry approached David Rudge with a partnership deal. Combining their surnames the name Rudamans was conceived. Out of the ashes a new force to be reckoned with was born. A. Jackaman & Sons was relaunched under the new Rudamans Barberton banner a few months later. The business thrived for another 14 years, the partnership with David Rudge unfortunately did not. After 6 months David Rudge, feeling that he was not suited to the retail market, requested Terry to buy out his share of the company. During this 14 years expansion plans were put into place and, in partnership with his brother-in-law Roy Guthrie, in 1986 opened Rudamans Nelspruit. To this day both Terry and Roy remain as directors of Rudamans Nelspruit. In 1998 Terry finally put down the leadership banner deciding it was time to pass on the flame.
Having joined the company in 1991 and 1995 respectively, Terry’s two sons , Wayne and Craig, took up the yoke of leadership, carrying on the Jackaman tradition. After investing in Rudamans Nelspruit they successfully turned the company into a business synonymous with excellent service. Establishing strong relationships with the forestry, agriculture and gardening industries.
During this time further divisions were launched, namely the Bike & Marine Division, which specialised in outdoor leisure and recreation. As the only official representative of Yamaha in the Lowveld, Bike & Marine successfully launched their product into the market, offering clients both off-road and road motorcycles, ATVs, and boats.
Unfortunately in 2016, Craig elected to leave Rudamans, moving onto develop other businesses opportunities.
Realising that markets move on and times change Rudamans launched their division specialising in customising 4×4 vehicles, vehicle window tinting and trailers.
In October 2016, Rudamans made the big move, after months of planning and development, they relocated their premises to their own building at 4 Tranquil Flow Street in Riverside Park.
“We had out-grown our premises in Plankie Street,” said Wayne, “it was becoming more and more difficult to manage the various brands and services while in separate buildings. Our customers were moving between buildings to interact with the different departments. This was wasting their time, and ultimately, we were worried it would impact on our service.
Moving to one building will allow Rudamans to deliver better services to our customers without the hassle.”
Throughout its history the family’s philosophy of excellent service and attention to their client’s needs has earned them a reputation for outstanding product knowledge and a caring attitude to whom they regard as family: their clients.